LONDON – Accor maintains the top room count among parent companies in Europe, and Ibis is the continent’s largest hotel brand, according to the STR 500.
As part of the STR 500 launch, the company will release the top 100 companies and brands in Europe during the 22nd International Hotel Investment Forum next week in Berlin.
Accor’s 330,863 hotel rooms as of 31 January ranked well ahead the next two largest parent companies with a room presence in Europe – Jin Jiang International (147,416) and InterContinental Hotels Group (118,025). Ibis (83,303) is one of four brands with more than 50,000 rooms in the region.
“Global companies have seen continued performance growth in Europe as added incentive to expand their portfolios in the region,” said Alexander Robinson, STR’s senior manager of industry partners. “Looking at the supply offerings across Europe, we see a range of chain-scale segments represented – most notably Economy, Midscale, Upper Midscale and Upper Upscale – but the expansion of the economy product is quite evident with the presence of Premier Inn and Ibis Budget, both in existing supply and in the development pipeline. We expect Europe to remain a top focus in the global development scene.”
Top 10 (ranked by room count in Europe)
|Parent Company||Parent Company Rooms||Brand||Brand Rooms|
|Jin Jiang International||147,416||Premier Inn||73,003|
|InterContinental Hotels Group||118,025||Mercure||66,165|
|Marriott International||114,844||Best Western||50,574|
|Best Western Hotels & Resorts||85,110||Radisson Blu||48,383|
|Choice Hotels International||54,035||Holiday Inn||46,234|
|Wyndham Hotels & Resorts||50,581||Novotel||45,229|
Robinson will be one of several STR executives included in the IHIF lineup next week:
- 4 March (14:30-14:50) – Robin Rossmann (managing director) – “Past, Present and Future: A Global Hotel Market Overview”
- 5 March (12:00-13:00) – Thomas Emanuel (director) – “Brace Yourself. Brexit is Happening, or is it?”
- 6 March (11:30-12:30) – Dennis Spitra (director of business development) – “DACH: Hospitality Investment In Germany and Neighbouring Markets”
- 6 March (12:40-13:30) – Robinson – “A Place in the Sun: Is Greece Ready for More Investment?”
- 6 March (12:40-13:30) – Sophie Colvin (senior business development manager) – “Is Spain Europe’s Most Attractive Growth Market?”
- 6 March (12:40-13:30) – Nele Magi (senior account manager) – “Off-Med Southern Europe: Investing in Portugal”
You can read more of the news on source